This super easy and fast black beans and cheese recipe is ready in under half an hour and only dirties one pan, which is a win in my book.
While I usually have a couple of cans of black beans hanging around, I still prefer to cook my own since they are really quick to cook in my Instant Pot. If you haven’t gotten one yet, they are a game-changer in the kitchen.
Baked Black Beans and Cheese
- Cast Iron Pan
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 14oz cans black beans ~4 cups cooked beans
- 1/2 cup hot water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups Cheddar or Mexican blend cheese shredded
- Heat the oven to 475°
- In a 10" ovenproof frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the garlic and cook about one minute
- Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, red-pepper flakes, and cumin. Fry for ~30 seconds, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the beans, water, salt and pepper. Stir to combine
- Sprinkle evenly with the cheese, then put in the oven to bake for about 5-10 minutes.
- If you want your cheese extra brown, broil 1-2 minutes