I found some andouille sausage on sale and had to come up with a recipe to use it with. Some research came up with this cheesy potato and cheese casserole recipe. This is an easy one-pot meal that isn’t too fancy or spicy and the whole family will love. This Potato Casserole With Andouille Sausage recipe will quickly become a fan-favorite.
Potato Casserole With Andouille Sausage
- 2 pounds small white potatoes peeled, if desired, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 8 to 12 ounces andouille sausage sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 6 ounces cheddar or cheddar jack blend cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Put potato chunks in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the sausage, onion, and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until the onion is soft. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
- In the same saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbly. Stir in the milk and cook until thickened. Add about 1 cup of cheese, along with the spice blend, salt, and pepper. Cook until cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Combine the sauce with the potatoes and the sausage mixture. Stir gently to blend. Transfer to the baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.