For some reason people think creamy sauces are tricky, or require a can of soup. Personally, I have taken a vow to never make any recipe again that lists a ‘can of soup’ as an ingredient.
This super easy creamy mushroom chicken recipe is ready in under an hour and is an amazing one-pot meal. I paired this up with a bag of cabbage salad and it was delicious. Give it a try for yourself!
Looking for more delicious chicken recipes? Try my Half Hour Garlic Mushroom Chicken Recipe or braised boneless chicken thighs.
Chicken in Mushroom Cream Sauce
Servings 4 Servings
- Cast Iron Pan
For the Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle all over with Italian seasoning.
- In a large cast iron skillet combine oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Once butter is melted, add the chicken and brown on each side for 1-2 minutes until you get a nice browned color. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, begin preparing the sauce by adding the butter. Once melted, stir in garlic and mushrooms and sauté 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are browned and garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in chicken broth, heavy cream, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cook for two minutes at a high boil. Remove from heat.
- Return chicken to skillet. Spoon sauce over the chicken, then transfer skillet to the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and sauce has reduced (it should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon).
- Spoon the mushroom sauce over the chicken and serve.